Summary: To provide a venue for local First Nations and Business leaders to share perspectives on issues affecting employment in the region and gain a common understanding of strategies to address these issues.
First Nations Economic Development: Benefits for the Southern Vancouver Island Region. This session will describe how First Nations economic development organizations help contribute to workforce development in the region. It will also describe the business partnership work that the Songhees First Nation is engaged in, factors affecting employment of First Nations workers from its community, and the broader employment and workforce development issues the community is facing.
- Christina Clarke – CEO of the Songhees Development Corporation for the Songhees Nation
Transforming the Workforce. This presentation will outline how the Tsawout First Nation is working to transform its community. The presentation and discussion will also deal with culture as an important building block for inclusion of First Nations workers in local businesses and transforming the local workforce.
- Mavis Underwood – Band Councillor, Tsawout Nation
Transforming the Workplace. This presentation will illustrate local companies are adapting and developing a workforce environment that will successfully engage local First Nations communities.
- Rick Quinn – Director – Terra Remote Sensing
- Lynn Brown – Regional HR Business Partner, Schneider Electric
- Curtis Harold – First Nations Coordinator, Ralmax Group of Companies